Sunday, September 2, 2007

A Banana and a Stawberry Walk into a Bar




Yesterday I hiked up Xiang Lu peak in Fragrant Hills park. It was pretty strenuous, especially considering that it was 80 degrees and a high pollution day. There's a ski lift that takes you to the top that I was tempted to take, but on weekends it cost 50 kuai per ride (100 kuai round trip) which is absolutely outrageous. Granted, the exchange rate makes that out to be about $6, but my average meal costs about 2-10 kuai, and the 1.5 hour bus ride there cost 0.8 kuai. I'll post some pictures, but they'll be pretty dissapointing. If it were a clear day, you would be able to see all of Beijing from the peak. However, it was a polluted day, so you can see some vague outlines, but mostly smog in all of my pictures. I've tried to clean them up as much as possible on my computer. Since cleaning them up, I'm actually able to see a lot more in my pictures than I could when I was actually there. It's hard to believe that these were taken on a very sunny day.



I'll also post a picture of my yogurt. Everything in China is cute. There are fun little cartoon characters everywhere. All over school supplies, billboards, busses, and even food. Reference my happy yogurt.

My absolute greatest discovery at the grocery store has been oatmeal. Chinese people must love it. There are two rows devoted to oatmeal! Thus, I've been thrilled every breakfast.






My new roommate comes in about 2 hours. I don't know much about her. All I know is that she's planning on studying abroad in an English speaking country next year, and that she's a business student. I don't know what her Chinese level is, or whether she's from the area, or what she's interested in or anything. I'm afraid that it'll be pretty awkward when she gets here, since my limited vocabulary will make conversation a bit short. I guess we'll see how it goes.

~L

p.s. At 7 pm tonight I have to give up English till Christmas. Wish me luck!

No comments:

Post a Comment